HISTORY OF THE FIRST NATIONAL BANK OF HARTFORD
The First National Bank of Hartford was organized on January 2, 1905 by the following stockholders: Mr. L.E. Burford, Mr. L. M. Basbinsky, Mr. J. J. Hughes, Mr. J. R. Alford, Mr. J. T. McDonald, Mr. S. G. Burch, Mr. John Kinsaul, Mr. J. H. Hodges, Mr. W. M. Burch, Mr. J. C. Quillin, Mr. G. W. Williamson, Mr. K. Z. Hendrix, Mr. M. T. Brackin, Mr. D. McNeal, Mr. J. R. Howell, Sr., Mr. George L. Hall, Mr. H. J. Goff, Mr. W. H. Bishop, Mr. J. A. Kinsaul, Mr. G. W. Huey, Mr. W. H. Smith, Mr. J. C. Boswell, Mr. C. F. Davis, Mr. George F. Davis and Mr. E. H. Basbinsky.
The original stockholders elected Mr. L.E. Burford, president, Mr. J.R. Alford and Mr. J.J. Hughes, vice presidents, Mr. W. H. Bishop, cashier.
At this time, there was also another bank in Hartford, known as the Bank of Hartford. This bank was located in the building now occupied by the First Insurance Agency.
In the early 1930's, the Bank of Hartford changed its name to the Hartford National Bank. On March 6, 1933, President Franklin Roosevelt declared the bank Moratorium, which closed all the banks in the county until March 13, 1933, at which time only those banks which had a sound capitol structure were allowed to reopen.
There were eight banks in the county and only three of these banks were allowed to reopen. The First National Bank of Hartford was one of them, and the others were the Citizen Bank of Geneva and the Slocomb National Bank of Slocomb.
The First National Bank of Hartford was originally located at the corner of Mill Street and Third Avenue, and occupied this building until the middle 1930's.
After the Hartford National Bank closed, the First National Bank purchased their building and later moved to that location. They moved the bank back to the present location in 1953 and under went a remodeling program in 1963 and again in 1974. In 1993 the First National Bank of Hartford embarked on building a completely new 14,000 square foot banking facility.
The presidents have been Mr. L. E. Burford who served until 1925. He was succeeded in office by Mr. J.J. Hughes who served until his death in 1928. He was succeeded in office by Mrs. Ouida Hughes who served from 1928-1931. Mrs. Hughes was the second female to serve as President of a National Bank in history. Next in the presidents office was Mr. T. A. West from 1931-1934, succeeded by Mr. J. A. Hughes, Sr. who served from 1935-1968. He was succeeded by Mr. John A. Hughes Jr., who served from 1968-1985. He was succeeded by Mr. H. J. Hughes in 1985, who is the president of First National Bank of Hartford today.
Mr. W. H. Bishop served as cashier until succeeded by Mr. Fox Lightfoot who held that office until September 25, 1911; being succeeded by Mr. Joseph V. Harrison who served the bank in this capacity until 1918. He was succeeded in office by Mr. O.E. Hightower who continued in the office until 1927, succeeded by Mr. T.A. West, who served as cashier until 1929, succeeded by Mr. Q. J. Borland, who served as cashier until 1951. He was succeeded by Mr. Fred R. Borland, who served as cashier until 1976, Mr. H. J. Hughes filled the office of vice president/cashier until 1982 when he was succeeded by Ms. Sue G. Fondren, who served until 2011. Currently, Marcia Solomon is serving as Cashier.
The present officers are Mr. John A. Hughes, Jr., Chairman of the Board; Mr. H. J. Hughes, CEO/President; Ms. Marcia Solomon, Assistant Vice-President/Cashier; Ms. Edna Sallas, Assistant Vice-President-Loans; Mr. Mike Kinman, Assistant Vice-President-EDP; Ms. Beth Bottoms, Assistant Cashier-Bookkeeping and Mr. Jeff Sorrells, Assistant Vice-President- Loan Officer; Mr. Michael Langford, Vice-President- Loan Officer.
The present directors are Mr. John A. Hughes, Jr., chairman; Mr. H. J. Hughes, Mr. Bill C. Hughes, Mr. William A. Hughes, Mr. John J Hughes, Ms. Amy G. Hughes, Mrs. Frances N. Gagliano, Mrs. Patricia B. Guilford, and Dr. H. B. Strickland,.
In December 1994 the First National Bank of Hartford moved into its new facility to better serve its customers and the community. The First National Bank of Hartford offers 24-hour banking with an ATM (Automated Teller Machine), with ATM/ Debit cards, and Internet Banking which enables its customers to have access to their accounts in the United States and internationally.
The bank has grown to total assets in excess of $137 million, and with capital accounts in excess of $14 million, during its 105-year history.
The First National Bank of Hartford has maintained a five star rating by BAUER FINANCIAL REPORTS, for 88 consecutive quarters, fewer than 10% of the nations' banks can claim that distinction a bank rating service. The First National Bank of Hartford is also a Blue Ribbon Bank by VERIBANC, INC.